"Selbuvotter, Biography of a Kniting Tradition"

I love it when a package comes in the mail.

I first heard of the "Selbuvotter" book on one of the internet knitting lists that I belong to, and when I saw this book listed on my favourite knitting book site, Needle Arts Book Shop, I ordered it -- hoping it would be there for pickup at the DKC Frolic. Unfortunately it hadn't arrived in time, but that gave me the great enjoyment of receiving it in the mail.

This book documents the Selbu type mittens that are in the collection of the Nordic Heritage Museum in Seattle.


These mittens are traditionally done in black and white, and usually the eight-pointed star plays a role in the motif. A lot of the samples in the book are knit with "the other" Shetland jumper weight yarn, so of course, you can do them in Jamieson's Shetland Spindrift.

In fact, pattern NHM#14, the mitten that first caught the eye of the author and prompted her to inquire about charting them, is done in Jamieson's Shetland Spindrift in 304 Bleached White and 102 Shetland Black....this is a particularly beautiful mitten with a lacy cuff edging, and I'd love to knit them up in a warmer colorway.

This is a great book for any knitter who loves mittens, smaller challenging projects and small gauge knitting!

If you'd like to do some virtual travelling, visit the Selbu Folk Museum.

Happy Selbu Knitting!

Comments

  1. Yes! A gorgeous book! I foresee it being great reference material!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that book on a blog recently but I can't remember where. I thought of ordering one but wanted to see the inside first. Now I know where to go to see the inside ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that a great book? Terri did an amazing job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful book! I'm going to have to look into it, thanks Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That book is my next book purchase, I saw it on Mimknits.
    Thanks for the link to Selbu, I had a great "trip" this morning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Got something to add? I love it when you join the conversation!

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Whimsey!

Fine Art Aran Giveaway Update!

Advent Knit Challenge - Finale